Keep Document Open When Smart Office 2 Closed

I am a writer and often review works in progress on my iPhone in Smart Office 2. These are long MS Word documents and it takes a bit of time to find the start position of what I want to read, and reflow the text. It is so frustrating to exit the app to check email or send a text, only to reopen the app and find the document closed. Then the process of finding the current location and reflowing the text has to start all over again.

I really need the document to be kept open and the current position saved when I close, and then reopen the app. I don’t want the app to close the document. I will close it when I’m done with it. At the very least, there should be an option to bookmark the current position, so it is easily recovered if the document auto closes.

Is this something that could be done? Thanks.

Hi Pash.

I’m sorry you are having problems or seeing undesirable behavior with SmartOffice 2.

I tested a multipage document on my iPhone and found different behavior(s) than you described.

Here’s what I’ve checked:

1. If I have a multipage document open, and I am viewing a page other than page one, and I let the phone “go to sleep”, when I reactivate I find SO2 still active and displaying the page I was on.

2. If I have a multipage document open, and I am viewing a page other than page one, and I minimize the app by clicking the button on the face of the phone, if I return to the app by double clicking the button on the face of the phone and selecting the SO2 icon, the document comes up exactly where I left off.

3. I have a multipage document open, and I am viewing a page other than page one, and I minimize the app by clicking the button on the face of the phone, and I start another application. If I close the other application by clicking the button on the face of the phone, then return to SO2 by double clicking the button on the face of the phone and selecting the SO2 icon, the document comes up exactly where I left off.

4. If I go through the same process, but re-launch SO2 by clicking the app icon on the phone’s desktop, I return to my open document, in the exact location where I left off.

If none of these techniques are working for you, can you please let us know:

iPad Model?
iOS system version?
SO2 version?
Where did you acquire SO2?
How large is the document (number of pages and number of KB’s or MB’s)?
What format is the document (doc or docx)?
Please describe the exact process you are using to minimize your document, run another application and return to your document.

I will send you a private via email inviting you to send a copy of your document so I can attempt to recreate the problem you are having.

Thank you for posting here.

Ron
SmartOffice Support

Hi Pash,

The changes we’ve made in SmartOffice 2.3.30 (which will be available from the App Store within the next few hours) which might help with this behaviour, it should mean the app is less likely to exit whilst in the background, but it is hard to know if this will help with the exact scenario you saw. It depends on all sorts of factors like the amount of memory required for the document you are viewing and how much RAM is available on your device.

If 2.3.30 doesn’t help, please do let us know more details, like the device you are using (eg. iPhone 5) and if possible you could email us a copy of the document.

Thanks

Jogu

Thank you both for the responses. I am still experiencing closing of the document when SmartOffice is running in the background. Sometimes, it will stay open if I go out and back in within a few seconds, but usually when I go back, it is closed.

I have an iPhone 4S running IOS 7.1.2. It did occur to me it might be a memory problem on the iPhone, since the document is over 100 pages in MS Word.

So sorry, but I can’t send the document, as it is a work-in-progress manuscript. I will watch for the update you mentioned and hope the closing problem improves. In the meantime, I will reopen the document as needed.

Thanks again for responding.