It's difficult to say what's gone wrong.
First, check the file type. Is it an MS Word DOC or DOCX files stored on Google Drive, or a Google Drive document created on Google Drive? When viewing the list of available files from the SmartOffice "Explorer", Word files will show up as a blue circle with a white W, or a white circle with a blue W and files in Google's Document format will appear as a grey circle with a white question mark inside. SmartOffice should open all three file types.
Can you answer some questions:
- What iOS version is running on your device?
- What version of SmartOffice do you have?
- What app store did you use to acquire SmartOffice?
- What is the full file name of the file that won't open, including the extension (if it's a Word document)?
- Can you send a copy of the file to us via email? (I can supply an email address to you privately.)
If you can provide additional details, I can dig a little deeper.